Thursday, May 22, 2008

I loved my first weekend in the ER. Absolutely loved it!
At the end of the first day, a man drove up to the ambulance bay saying "baby now. baby now." He didn't speak much english. Shannon was handed a bundle of blankets. He ran into the crash room yelling, "someone get the mom! someone get the mom!" Once in the crash room, I watched him open the bundle. "Oh, oh, oh. This is small. So small. Oh, small." In the blankets was a bloody, blue baby. She was born 16 weeks early. She weighed 1.2 pounds. She was gasping for breath. Once she was stable, she was flown to Crawford-Long hospital. The mom retained the placenta and was bleeding heavily. I'm pretty sure she ended up having a hysterectomy.
A 24 year old woman came in with abdominal pain. Turns out, she had a tumor the size of a cantaloupe stemming from her right ovary. She had surgery, and is OK now.
I also helped hold a 1 month old boy in place for a spinal tap. Thankfully, he wasn't a screamer.
I got a new nickname in the ER-Majik, instead of Majeski or My Jet Ski. I like it. =]
Now, for my health:
  • I have high cholesterol. We're talking 250, folks. Sucks for a 21 yo.
  • Some of my neck problems have been figured out. The dura mater on my first cervical vertebrae is too thick, pushing my nerves.
  • Also, my extra rib has grown longer, pushing on my nerves.
  • I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist
  • I have a "bump" in my 5th cervical vertebrae. It's been there for a while, and yes, it's still causing problems. It's from Degenerative Disc Disease.
So now I have a consult with a orthopedic neuro doctor. Hopefully he can give me a special kind of epidural into the thickened dura mater to reduce its size to relieve some pain. Please no surgery!

Rocky's too sexy...


3 comments:

Ali said...

Great picture of Rocky!!

Ali said...

Where is a post of your weekend??

Ali said...

OK, so when are you goint to update your blog??